Nearly 4,000 Americans die in truck accidents across the U.S. every year. And here’s the deal: in the vast majority of these accidents, occupants of other vehicles either suffer injuries or die.
Given the size and weight of trucks, being in a truck accident can be a devastating experience. Causes of truck accidents in the U.S. vary greatly, but the number of collisions involving truck drivers driving under the influence of alcohol has been on the rise lately.
What’s even more outrageous is that many truck accident victims struggle to get the compensation they deserve for their injuries and damages due to the confusing and complicated bureaucratic hoop-jumping associated with filing a truck accident claim.
Today, our Los Angeles truck accident attorneys at Compass Law Group, PC are going to review the basics of holding a truck driver and his/her trucking company responsible for your injuries and damages – or for killing your loved one in a wrongful death incident.
But first, let’s find out what are the most common causes of truck accidents in Los Angeles.
Truck Accidents: What Are The Most Common Causes In The Us?
As we’ve mentioned earlier, drunk driving accounts for an extremely high number of truck accidents in the U.S. Other most common causes include:
- Distracted driving;
- Violating traffic rules;
- Speeding or running red lights;
- Drowsy driving and falling asleep behind the wheel;
- Carrying heavy loads of cargo that exceed the maximum allowance limit;
- Operating trucks that aren’t properly maintained or with cargo not securely restrained;
- Poor weather or road conditions (or the combination of both).
These and many other causes of motor vehicle accidents may entitle you to file a truck accident claim and hold the truck driver as well as the trucking company liable for your injuries and damages.
However, don’t jump into it just yet. It’s highly advised to be legally represented by the best truck accident attorneys in Los Angeles at Compass Law Group, PC to maximize the value of your claim, conduct a fair investigation and prevent the trucking company and its insurance company from trying to settle for less than you deserve.
Why You Need A Truck Accident Attorney Now
You need to hire a Truck accident attorney Los Angeles in order to:
- Prove that the truck driver or his/her trucking company was negligent and failed to exercise a reasonable degree of care when operating the vehicle.
- Prove that the negligence or reckless on the part of the driver or their trucking company caused injuries and damages;
- Collect witness accounts and possibly obtain footage proving that the truck driver was at fault for the accident;
- Evaluate your damages and the full cost of your injuries: physical and emotional injuries, pain and suffering, medical expenses, property damages, lost wages, lost capability, and other types of damages;
- Determine who will be named the defendant in your case. The more parties you sue, the more money you get. In truck accidents, the truck driver, trucking company, contractors, employers and insurance companies can be identified as defendants;
- Negotiate with your insurance company and the insurance companies of the truck driver and the trucking company. More often than not, insurers do whatever it takes, including biased investigations, to minimize the cost and even avoid liability.
Without having a truck accident lawyer by your side, you risk losing a substantial amount of money in your claim. Never accept those unfair and low-cost initial settlement offers prior to evaluating the full value of your claim.
Let our truck accident lawyers at Compass Law Group, PC walk you through the process of filing a claim and help you get every dollar available in your case. Call our Los Angeles offices at 800-602-4010 or complete this contact form to get a free consultation.