There used to be the time when an employer would tell you to “work things out” with your colleague after you came in to submit a sexual harassment claim. Thank God those days are over.
Nowadays, when an employer submits a sexual harassment claim in the workplace, the company/employer has to take it seriously, or face prosecution and other charges. Any such complaint has to be handled with extreme care, and according to the law.
Being sexually assaulted or harassed at your workplace? Submit a claim immediately. Your employer has to help you, or face severe consequences.
Steps you can take
If you are being harassed at work, these are the steps you can take:
- Speak with your manager. Explain what is happening and follow up with a written summary of the situation. (they have to take steps to ensure that you are protected and that it never happens again)
- Document everything that happens (time, date, names, and witnesses). Every bit of information can help your case.
- Ask the individual to stop harassing you. Explain that their behavior makes you feel uncomfortable, and that they have to stop immediately.
- Tell the individual that you will file a legal lawsuit for sexual harassment at the workplace.
- Speak with your friends and family. Seek professional help.
- Contact an attorney immediately after.
Sexual Harassment is a serious thing in Los Angeles, and it is treated with extreme caution and professionalism. If you ever feel threatened or harassed at your workplace, or discriminated in any way, don’t hesitate to give us a call. Our attorneys will immediately provide you with protection and proper legal assistance, as well as start the process to ensure that you get all the help and compensation you deserve.
Your employer has to take you seriously
Once you come to your employer with a sexual harassment claim, you have to be greeted with open arms and understanding of your situation. As shocking as it may be to your employer, the fact is that you are experiencing discrimination and discomfort at your workplace, which defiles the basic rule of employment.
As you all know, every employer has to provide you with:
- Safe working environment
- Positive working energy
- Clean and safe working conditions
- Protect you against any type of workplace discrimination or harassment
- Provide you with the type of job stated in the contract
- Pay you according to your work hours
When someone is reported for workplace harassment or discrimination, it is your employer’s duty to take certain steps and ensure that no one else gets discriminated. Additionally, the person who sexually harassed you has to face legal consequences.
Employment Discrimination happens every day, and it is your job to do something about it. If it happened to you, know that you are not alone. There are many things you can do and many people you can talk to. The Federal and State laws are on your side.
Any workplace that tolerates harassment is toxic and undesirable, and will quickly lose good workers and reputation. If you are working in one such environment, seek legal representation and protect yourself from any further harassment.
Our Sexual Harassment Attorney in Los Angeles is at your disposal. One phone call and we will be there to help protect your legal rights.